5 Steps to Getting Your Life Back on Track


Depressed. I couldn’t even get off the couch. It was my 29th birthday and I was down and out.

“What’s wrong?” my wife asked.

“I’m a loser,” I said.  

“What are you talking about? “She said.

“I’m 29 and I’ve accomplished nothing” I replied.

Of course that wasn’t true, but as far as my career I had not achieved what I had wanted. I had spent a few years in my early 20’s owning and operating a small marketing company. That was fun and a good school of hard knocks. I had pursued opening up a salon to no avail. So there I was laying on the couch hitting bottom.

I knew I was made for more. I had an idea of what God wanted for me. And thankfully, He allowed me to hit “career-life” bottom to get me to pursue my passion and goals.


Many people ask, “Okay, so what’s the secret formula to getting life back on track and doing what you really want to do? It’s not that complicated – just hard. Even so, I believe everyone can accomplish their life goals by following this 5 step formula.

Identify what it is you really want to accomplish. This is mentally hardest part of the equation. Why? Because most people have a hard time deciding which restaurant to eat at or what movie to watch on Netflix. Getting one’s life or career trajectory identified should be much harder.

I would encourage you to do 3 things to identify this. First is pray. You should seek Divine wisdom from God as to what you are here to do or could do. Second is evaluate your past and ask, “What has my past prepared me for today and the future?” Third, ask those who know you best what you would be good at or would seem to enjoy doing. Last, pray again. Ask for discernment as you’ve likely narrowed own the options.

Ask and answer honestly. Answer the question honestly, “Why do I want to pursue this career path?” "Why do I want to go this direction with my life?" Answer this honestly. Don’t say, “Because I want to help people” when you really just want to make more money. Identify what is your true motivation. Because without a strong and honest enough why, you’ll give up at the first distraction or hardship.

Commit to yourself and others of your pursuit. Accountability is what separates the doers from the talkers. Find some key people and ask them to hold you accountable to accomplishing your life or career path goals. Find and hire a coach. When you're invested, you're more likely to succeed. Why not invest in the best? Accountability partners and coaches will be the ones to remind you of your goal, your why, and provide support and encouragement along the way.

Create the path. Start with the end in mind. Then work backwards. Need a license to sell insurance? Find out the average time to study for an exam. Schedule the exam (accountability). Schedule and create windows for prep and then begin.

Need to return to school? Research your options for online or in person. Determine how long it will take on your selected school. Get a degree completion plan from your adviser. Schedule and create a study plan and begin.

Celebrate each victory. I don’t’ care how small the victory is. Just celebrate it. What is celebrated gets repeated. This creates a positive anchor to use as emotional fuel to pursuing your goals.
This is the formula I followed. I got off that couch and decided enough was enough. I knew I was called to full-time vocational ministry. I identified my why of wanting to lead people to Christ and disciple them along the way. I committed to my family and friends that I was going to return to school and they held me accountable. I researched and created a path. And each class I completed I celebrated. I was rewarded after each degree completion.

9 Years ago I was depressed and hopeless. By following this formula, I have completed my undergrad and graduate degree both graduating with highest honors. Today I am the Pastor of Local Outreach at a church in Lincoln, NE. I’m a Certified Executive Coach who’s helped organizations and individuals improve performance and lead with conviction and success. And I take no glory for my story. I give all the glory to God. Because in the end it is by Him and for Him I am here.

This formula really works if you work it.

If you’re interested in coaching to identify and achieve your goals, contact me. I’d love to setup a coffee and hear your story.

Question: What is it you really want to do? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Christians Be MEGA SURE of God's Existence? Part 1

How do we know Jesus' resurrection is legit?

5 Reminders from Untimely Death