What To Do When Life Throws You a Curveball (Revisited)

Proverbs 19:21 says "Many are the plans in a man's heart; but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."

I have told hundreds and hundreds of people "Today is normal and tomorrow your son has cancer. Today is normal and tomorrow you are raising your kids by yourself. Today is normal and tomorrow you hit the jackpot." It's happened to me. It happened to you. And yet we still don't believe it. "Many are the plans..."

A little over 4 years ago after experiencing a curveball, a good friend asked me, "What has changed about you from last week till now?" In other words, in light of the the curveball, what's changed about me?

The answer: Nothing.

I am still me with the same skills, abilities, experiences, degrees, etc. It is only information that has changed. Thank you, Tom. That question and advice still stands.

I still experience curveballs. I still will experience them. You have and you will!

In the face of a curveball, I never want to react. I simply want to be ready to act with faith and confidence.

How?

The next time life throws you a curveball try these 5 steps.

Don't panic. Where's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when I need it, right? But those 2 words are imperative. Don't panic. My gut reaction is to take control. Take action. Fix. Fix. Fix. In my experience, that is not the best method. Usually I ended making myself crazy and making the situation worse.

"Never let your feelings sit in judgment over your faith." ~ Tony Evans

Disconnect. Note: I am not saying cut of your sources of love, support, and encouragement. You need them and keep them close. And you do need to be willing to disconnect from the things that distract you from what is really going on. And if you flood yourself with activity, it will pull you away from the next step...

Be in the emotions. I can't believe I just wrote that. Those who know me I am not a guy who lives in the emotions. I am expressive, but not often really into my emotions. Over the past three days I have cried, questioned, been scared, cried, been confused, been angry, cried...well you get the idea. And I will admit, I feel better because of it.

One little caveat: set a time and limit to be in the motions. 3 days, 1 week, etc. Be in them. Deal with them. And then move on. Yes, it hurts, but I know when I am done with this process of grieving, I will be done. It will be dealt with.

Be anchored to truth. Emotions are indicators. They are real. But they are not objective. They are powerful and useful, and you can't stay there. Eventually you need to look at the truth. For me, I am anchored to Scripture.

I am a masterpiece saved by Christ Jesus for a purpose. He still loves me and has a plan for me and my family.

Now, I recognize that Scripture is not an exhaustive compendium of truth. But everything it proclaims is true.

I know I can turn to Scripture for hope and strength in the hardest of times as well as guide me for the best opportunities. Be anchored.

Finally, seek and you shall find. When you're read, when the time is right, begin to seek answers and advice. Tap into your closest advisers and friends. Not people who are full of flattery, but sound counselors. Pray to the one who is the giver of all wisdom: God. Pray for guidance, peace, discernment, and answers. Research. Seek and you will find.

James wrote "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing" (James 1:2-4). I can handle that. I dig it. I am thankful for it.

No matter what curve ball comes your way, it will be okay. If you can follow the process, you can lean into it and grow through it.

Question: What curveballs are you dealing with and how are you growing through it?

Still want more advice on handling the curveballs? Watch this message on Standing Firm When Life Throws You a Curveball

Comments

  1. In this time of adjusting to the curveballs, I have absolutely no doubt that God has greater things in store for your family than you can foresee. I look at the curveballs that have nearly crippled us, and I see where God has placed us now: in situations far above and beyond what we could have foreseen, with opportunities for even greater Kingdom impact. I eagerly await what’s next for your story after this plot twist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My life has been a series of curve balls. After each, God has moved me on to things I could never have foreseen. I am confidant that God will do the same for you and your family. Heed the truths you have written in this blog and stay strong in Him!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can Christians Be MEGA SURE of God's Existence? Part 1

How do we know Jesus' resurrection is legit?

5 Reminders from Untimely Death