4 Life Changing Benefits of Taking a Spiritual Retreat

Stressed out. Burned out. That’s the sentiments of 62% of American employees. This means 62% of Americans are extremely fatigued and feel out of control. 33% of Americans are a constant stream of stress, but feel it is manageable. This means 95% of Americans are stressed and 2/3 of Americans can’t handle the pressure.[1]


I’ve been in my full-time ministry position for just under 1 year. It’s been fantastic experience and still it was time for a break. I wasn’t stressed out beyond belief. I simply needed to disconnect and be refreshed.

My solution: a spiritual retreat. I have been told for years to take time away. Disconnect. But like everyone else, I had excuses why I couldn’t break away. You name the excuse, I’ve probably given it…legitimately.

I am glad to say, the excuses stopped. I am now fresh off of a 30 hour spiritual retreat. I am convinced everyone should take a yearly spiritual retreat because of 4 life changing benefits.

You clean the slate. It is recorded in the book of 2 Samuel the words of King David. "I have sinned greatly in what I have done But now, O LORD, please take away the iniquity of Your servant, for I have acted very foolishly” (2 Samuel 24:10). I don’t care how spiritual you are or how much you strive to be a good person. We all sin. We all hurt people. We all sin against God. It’s unavoidable. The good news is we don’t have to stay that way. So what must we do? Confess to God. Come as King David did.

Some of you might be thinking, “Nah. I’m good. Nothing to confess.” Then pray as King David did: Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life” (Psalm 139:23-34). Pray this and He will bring to light that which needs to be confessed. Once confessed, move on. No more guilt or conviction.

Without this element of confession, it’s hard to fully experience this spiritual retreat.

You know where you are. After cleaning the slate, you can begin to assess where you really are. This comes through careful reflection of your bank accounts. Think, pray, and look over your spiritual account, marital account, family accounts, financial account, career account, and so on. Ask “How well am I doing in each of these accounts? What is in a surplus? What is in a deficit?”
Remember, you can only improve what you manage. You can only manage what you know. Do some digging and see where you really are.

You refocus your plans. Many of us are wading through life on a boat with no rudder. We may start with a map and a way to steer, but life seems to rip our tools out of our hands. By taking a spiritual retreat, you get to refocus your plans.

Once you know where you are, you can begin to road map where you want to go. I suggest starting with a 90 day plan. Create goals that move you from where you are to where you desire to be. I created 24 goals in 10 different categories. The number isn’t important. The goal is. Refocus your plans.

You reconnect with God. There is not a more important relationship than your relationship with God. A.W. Tozer said, “What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.” In other words, our perception of God is the foundation of our lives. Let me ask you this: How well do you know of God? Or better yet, how well do you really know God? Whether you think you know of him or really know him, you can always know more.

One of the ways I reconnect with God is through reading the Bible. There are many approaches to reading Scripture. This past week, I chose a couple books of the Bible I have been wanting to read. I slowly read them. I journaled key verses. I wrote down questions. I asked, “What does this verse or passage tell me about God.” I prayed for God to bring understanding of the true meaning of that Scripture. Then I searched for a way to apply its principle(s) to my life.

Whether you are stress-free, stressed-and-managing, or ready to melt down, a spiritual retreat is a must. It takes time, intentionality, and a bit of inconvenience. I promise you, the benefits are great. The greatest of all the benefits is a reconnection with God. I promise you, King David’s words are true: “Taste and see that the LORD is good” (Psalm 34:8).

Now, go and be refreshed and renewed.

Question: Have you taken a spiritual retreat? How often do you get to take a retreat? What are the benefits you experience?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Christians Be MEGA SURE of God's Existence? Part 1

How do we know Jesus' resurrection is legit?

5 Reminders from Untimely Death