What To Do When Life Throws You a Curveball

Proverbs 19:21 says "Many are the plans in a man's heart; but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."
This is why I strive to not cling onto my plans too tightly. This week I was delivered unexpected information. Life changing.

I have told hundreds and hundreds of people "Today is normal and tomorrow your son has cancer. Today is normal and tomorrow you are raising your kids by yourself. Today is normal and tomorrow you hit the jackpot." It was one of those weeks for this guy.
I am still sorting out the event. But a good friend ask me "What changed about you from last week till now?" The answer: Nothing. I am still me with the same skills, abilities, experiences, degrees, etc. It is only information that has changed. Thank you, Tom.
Having said all this I have taken advice given very seriously about dealing with unexpected events. The next time life throws you a curveball try these 5 steps.
Don't panic. Where's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when I need it, right? But those 2 words are imperative. Don't panic. My gut reaction is to take control. Take action. Fix. Fix. Fix. In my experience, that is not the best method. Usually I ended making myself crazy and making the situation worse. 
"Never let your feelings sit in judgment over your faith." ~ Tony Evans
Disconnect. Note: I am not saying cut of your sources of love, support, and encouragement. You need them and keep them close. And you do need to be willing to disconnect from the things that distract you from what is really going on. And if you flood yourself with activity, it will pull you away from the next step...
Be in the emotions. I can't believe I just wrote that. Those who know me I am not a guy who lives in the emotions. I am expressive, but not often really into my emotions. Over the past three days I have cried, questioned, been scared, cried, been confused, been angry, cried...well you get the idea. And I will admit, I feel better because of it.
One little caveat: set a time and limit to be in the motions. 3 days, 1 week, etc. Be in them. Deal with them. And then move on. Yes, it hurts, but I know when I am done with this process of grieving, I will be done. It will be dealt with.
Be anchored to objective truth. Emotions are indicators. They are real. But they are not objective. They are powerful and useful, and you can't stay there. Eventually you need to look at the truth. For me, I am anchored to Scripture. 
Scripture is not an exhaustive compendium of truth, but everything it proclaims is true. I made a a list yesterday of over 100 topics Scripture addresses relevant for life in 2015. I know I can turn to Scripture for hope and strength in the hardest of times as well as guide me for the best opportunities. Be anchored.
Finally, seek and you shall find. Now, I am not here yet. My time limit is not up and I am not ready. So I am not seeking advice or solutions to the situation. But when it is time, I will begin to seek answers. I will tap into my closest friends and advisers. I will pray for guidance, peace, discernment, and answers. I will research. I will seek and I know I will find.
James wrote "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing" (James 1:2-4). I can handle that. I dig it. I am thankful for it. 
No matter what curveball comes your way, it will be okay. If you can follow this process, you can lean into it and grow through it.
Question: What curveballs are you dealing with and how are you growing through it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Christians Be MEGA SURE of God's Existence? Part 1

How do we know Jesus' resurrection is legit?

5 Reminders from Untimely Death